Hi!
I'm running windows 7.  Inside this directory, C:\Ruby192\bin , is the
file 'gem' .   It's just 'gem' , no extension like .rb or anything.

Opened it with a text editor:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
#--
# Copyright 2006 by Chad Fowler, Rich Kilmer, Jim Weirich and others.
# All rights reserved.
# See LICENSE.txt for permissions.
#++

require 'rubygems'
require 'rubygems/gem_runner'
require 'rubygems/exceptions'

required_version = Gem::Requirement.new ">= 1.8.7"

unless required_version.satisfied_by? Gem.ruby_version then
  abort "Expected Ruby Version #{required_version}, is
#{Gem.ruby_version}"
end

args = ARGV.clone

begin
  Gem::GemRunner.new.run args
rescue Gem::SystemExitException => e
  exit e.exit_code

My questions are:
1. Is this the main RubyGems application?  If it is, can someone explain
to me the significance of it not having an extension like .rb ?

2. Is RubyGems required for any simple library I would create myself?
for example, mylibrary.rb
Or is RubyGems used solely for downloaded gems like RedCloth?

3. If I have a file, test.rb , and the first line of code is:
require 'rubygems' ,
what file is it requiring? Is it the 'gem' file in C:\Ruby192\bin ?

Thanks guys!