On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 18:47, IƱaki Baz Castillo <ibc / aliax.net> wrote:
> 2011/10/29 Dave Aronson <rubytalk2dave / davearonson.com>:
>> Ask yourself how you do it as a human. You look at the first letter
>> to see if it's a vowel, right? (Omitting for now some special cases
>> like h and y under certain circumstances.)
> Not exactly: "a user" :)

Good point, but I was trying to Keep It Simple.  If the OP seemed more
well-versed in Ruby, or at least in programming, I'd suggest an
approach like ActiveSupport::Inflector, whereby it *starts* with some
simple rules like that, but also has a built-in knowledgebase of
exceptions, and lets you extend that KB with more exceptions.

So I guess the question for Faith is, how accurate does it need to be?
 I get the impression this is an early homework assignment, for a
beginner's class in programming, using Ruby.  (As opposed to a class
for already seasoned programmers, to learn Ruby.)  In that case, I
still think my original suggestion is rather appropriate.  If the
class is more advanced, or this is to be real-world production code,
that's different....

-Dave

--
LOOKING FOR WORK! What: Ruby (on/off Rails), Python, other modern languages.
Where: Northern Virginia, Washington DC (near Orange Line), and remote work.