Roger Pack wrote in post #1028879:
>>> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.6.5.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jruby is the only ruby that (for me) feels stable in windows and has a
> GUI that is easily cross-platform for distribution, so it's practically
> the only thing I use anymore, except simple scripts.

And JRuby's great for simple automation scripting.

I love that I can slap something like this on PATH to quickly convert
DTDs to XSD/RNGs. More comment chatter than code :)

@echo off
setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION ENABLEEXTENSIONS
set PATH=C:\jruby\bin;%PATH%

jruby -x %~f0 %*
endlocal
exit /b

#!jruby
$LOAD_PATH.unshift File.join(ENV['USERPROFILE'], '.groovy', 'lib')

require 'java'
require 'trang'

java_import com.thaiopensource.relaxng.translate.Driver

SQS_VERSION = '0.7.9'
USAGE = <<-EOT
Schema Quicksilver v#{SQS_VERSION} - schema converter
usage: sqs INPUT OUTPUT

where INPUT can be one of:
  .rng   RELAX NG (XML syntax)
  .rnc   RELAX NG (compact syntax)
  .dtd   XML 1.0 DTD
  .xml   XML doc to infer schema from

and OUTPUT can be one of:
  .rng   RELAX NG (XML syntax)
  .rnc   RELAX NG (compact syntax)
  .dtd   XML 1.0 DTD
  .xsd   W3C XML Schema
EOT

abort USAGE if ARGV.length < 2

puts "[CONVERT] #{ARGV[0]} -> #{ARGV[1]}"
Driver.main(ARGV)

Very cool that you can reach into an executable JAR and call the right
method rather than using `system`  Probably need to look at how fast MRI
+ system('java ...') starts up compared to this, but JRuby startup speed
really hasn't been a concern of mine. I'm much more interested in issues
like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-5710

JRuby's great on Windows, thanks for another fantastic release! Looking
forward to what the 1.7 series brings.

Jon

---
http://thecodeshop.github.com | http://jonforums.github.com/