Hello friends, first i have to say: my english is not so good, I'll try
my best. I passed many hours yesterday and a couple of hours today
trying to figure out why my source code isn't displayed as supposed.
I'll show you the code to continue:

1   # encoding: UTF-8
2   puts "Cual es tu nombre? "
3   nombre = gets.chomp
4   puts "Cual es tu segundo nombre?"
5   segundonombre = gets.chomp
6   puts "Cual es tu apellido?"
7   apellido = gets.chomp
8   puts "Hola " + nombre + " " + segundonombre + " " + apellido +\
9    "!! Un gustaso conocerte!! :)"

*************************The trouble*******************************
 I save this program as something.rb, and then execute it with require
'something'. I putted some characters like  to show up in the
ruby prompt, is supposed that ruby will show me this: Cual es tu
nombre? , but Ruby show me crabbed characters instead of .

 A few things to say:
 1) I'm running Windows SP3 in my PC. I have used Komodo and InType
(IDEs), and with both is the same result. I have tryied many ways: I
saved the file with UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 and variants and always the same
result.
 2) I've added puts __ENCODING__ in the middle of the source code to see
if ruby was getting the mean of the first line of the code, and it was
good, Ruby gives: UTF-8, but still show me strange characters.
 3) I`ve re-instaled Ruby, old 1.9 versions and it the same, I don't
want to have to run Ruby 1.8, reading i found that this is a trouble of
1.9 ver..
 4) Running the program:

 require 'anything'
 ¨¤¨¤Cual es tu nombre? ¨§¨§¨§¨§¨¢¨§¨§
 => car
 ¨¤¨¤Cual es tu segundo nombre?
 => l
 ¨¤¨¤Cual es tu apellido?
 =>
 Hola car l !! Un gustaso conocerte!! :)
 # Observe that when I write in the prompt characters with ¡­ or ` or
 #or  Ruby take it fine, i mean, it don't respond me with strange
 #characters.

 5) Strange things that I've found in Ruby about this trouble:

 puts __ENCODING__
 => CP850                        # CP850 is the Latin-1 encoding
 ""
 => "\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4"
 puts ""
 =>
 "".force_encoding("CP850")
 => "\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4"
 "".force_encoding("UTF-8")
 => "\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4\xA4"
 "".force_encoding("ISO-8859-1")  # ISO-8859-1 is the Latin-1\
 #encoding
 => ""

 I will be very grateful with your help, thanks.