Hi guys,

It is difficult to describe the load: it is a Rails app with many moving
parts. By "loading" I mean I am sending 10 to 20 requests at once (and
repeat) just to see how it reacts.

I have been able to "track" the key time consuming parts in my code.
There are three of them:
- one linked to DB requests
- one linked to heavy computations (some optimization algos)
- the third one: the thread creation above.

The more I load, the more time each of these take - it is very
correlated.
I know how to optimize the first two, but not the last one. It doesn't
seem there is anything I can do (besides switching to a different Ruby
which I can't unfortunately).

But Robert it seems you are right: it is just CPU intensive. I had a
chance to add another box to the cluster this week-end and it makes a
huge difference. I just did not realize that creating threads would be
that CPU intensive.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help on this.

Pierre