On 24 October 2011 10:47, Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach / centrum.cz> wrote:
>> One thing where Ruby is lacking compared to PHP is user isolation on
>> shared web hosting.
>
> Just for curiosity: what exactly do you mean by "user isolation" and
> what features are missing in Ruby?

It is common to see shared hosting where one Apache instance runs
multiple separate PHP enabled sites.

It relies on security built into PHP (disabling certain features) to
isolate these sites from each other. They live in one filesystem on
one server but supposedly cannot access any data of each other, there
is CPU and real time limit on execution of every page to prevent DoS,
etc. Technically each site is associated with an UID - think of a web
site stored in your home directory on a shared server.

I don't know of any Ruby enabled web server that can run multiple
sites like that.

Thanks

Michal