[Sean Chittenden]:
>> Unfortunately String#succ is not reversible operation since it's not
>> one-to-one relation.
>
> I never understood why the last character in the string wasn't
> converted to an int, then ++.  If the final char's value was greater
> than 255, then roll over the remainder in strlen(cur_pos - 1)....
> greater than 255... that begs: why isn't there a class called
> "Character" that handles unicode.  Right now String#succ seems
> horribly English centric.  If it's a Spanish locale, 'o'.succ doesn't
> return "o'" (can't produce the o w/ the accent on top at the moment,
> it's HTML escape code is ó though ::grin::).

Is such pedantry really necessary? I thing of String#succ mostly as
a convenience function for generating sequences of file names and such.

Not as a 256-ecimal counter. I have never had much need for that.

Nor as a way of generating all the words in a particular language. Not
much need for that either. Nor am I sure such a function can be defined
in any sane way.

For example, Swedish has both the letters "v" and "w" but do not distinguish
them when sorting (va and wa are sorted in the same position), so what should
("vv".."vx").to_a be with a Swedish locale?

	vv, vw, vx
	vv, vw, wv, ww, vx
	vv, vx

Anyway, I think this belongs in a module and not in standard Ruby.

// Niklas