--002215974862833f3304af846662

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Jon Crowell <impersonal / joncrowell.org>wrote:

> Wow, thanks.  That was a perfect explanation for the behavior I
> witnessed.  The solution that you proposed works.
>
> Now my problem is that the second line of lib/ear_gtd.rb, which ruby
> can now find, which reads:
>
> require "active_record"
>
> is causing ruby to throw up its hands.  I guess this is where I need
> to use and understand Bundler for dependency management, is that
> right?

Not for this application, it is not using Bundler (you can tell a Ruby
program is using Bundler because it will have a file at the root of the app
named Gemfile). The easiest thing to do is probably to guess at what version
of ActiveRecord it needs and install that. If you find yourself doing this a
lot, then it is probably worth it to add Bundler to the project. I'd try
matching the date of the article up against versions at
https://rubygems.org/gems/activerecord/versions then install that particular
version of ActiveRecord with `$ gem install activerecord -v x.x.x` If you
have newer versions of ActiveRecord installed, then you may need to add `gem
'activerecord', 'x.x'` to the code to force it to load the version you
want (if this process is as eyebrow raising to you as it is to me, then you
see why Bundler was created).

--002215974862833f3304af846662--