From: John H. [mailto:mynameisjohn / linuxmail.org]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 7:00 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Beginning

Hi.

I'm new to Ruby but not programming (as a hobbyist rather than a professional). I don't think there is an age limit for starting, you just need the right resources to stay motivated.

Sometimes knowledge of other languages can be more of a hindrance, as you have to prevent yourself from thinking within the confines of what you have already learned.

Hackety hack is supposed to be cool, if your lack of experience is dampening your confidence...

 http://hackety-hack.com/

Generally when switching between languages I work through programming exercises (designed for any language) to slowly build my understanding.
If you have a program in mind break it down into small sections and work at one piece at a time. You'll be surprised how it all comes together.
(:

Good luck!