Hi.

I'm new to Ruby but not programming (as a hobbyist rather than a
professional). I don't think there is an age limit for starting, you
just need the right resources to stay motivated.

Sometimes knowledge of other languages can be more of a hindrance, as
you have to prevent yourself from thinking within the confines of what
you have already learned.

Hackety hack is supposed to be cool, if your lack of experience is
dampening your confidence...

 http://hackety-hack.com/

Generally when switching between languages I work through programming
exercises (designed for any language) to slowly build my understanding.
If you have a program in mind break it down into small sections and work
at one piece at a time. You'll be surprised how it all comes together.
(:

Good luck!