On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Marc Heiler <shevegen / linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Let's say I have a GNU autoconfigure based program like htop:
>
>  𺯯𭰮>
> Ok, I downloaded it and extract it. Then I change to the
> extracted archive and run:
>
>  >
> Question 1:
>
> I don't seem to get the output of this command, when it is done
> like the above way.

What exactly do you mean by that?  Do you expect the output in result
or on the terminal?

> Normally via autoconfigure, I get line after line output.
>
> I would like to have the same functionality from within ruby,
> but capture the whole result into the string.
>
> Question 2:
>
> I want to check for errors but I am not sure how to best
> do this.
>
> For instance, an error could be like this here:
>
>  >
> I could grep the whole string for something like that.
>
> But perhaps there is another way? An error result that is
> set and which I could use in Ruby?
>
> Any pointers appreciated!

I suggest to look at popen and variants which give you more control
about the child process

http://rdoc.info/stdlib/core/1.9.2/IO#popen-class_method
http://rdoc.info/stdlib/open3/1.9.2/Open3#popen3-instance_method

Kind regards