Hi.

Let's say I have a GNU autoconfigure based program like htop:

  http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/htop/htop-0.9.tar.gz

Ok, I downloaded it and extract it. Then I change to the
extracted archive and run:

  result = `./configure`

Question 1:

I don't seem to get the output of this command, when it is done
like the above way.

Normally via autoconfigure, I get line after line output.

I would like to have the same functionality from within ruby,
but capture the whole result into the string.

Question 2:

I want to check for errors but I am not sure how to best
do this.

For instance, an error could be like this here:

  No package 'gtk+-3.0' found

I could grep the whole string for something like that.

But perhaps there is another way? An error result that is
set and which I could use in Ruby?

Any pointers appreciated!