J> ok, that's not the problem....but the program still crashes on classy =
J> rb_const_get(rb_cObject,rb_intern("A")); in exactly the same way even when I
J> try the protection code you posted earlier.  I really can't see what's wrong
J> at all :(

 Can you try with a well known class, for example

   rb_const_get(rb_cObject, rb_intern("Array"));

 ruby use rb_const_get() in its source, probably your version of
 ruby/cygwin was not compiled with the good option (for extension). I know
 nothing in cygwin.

 See also if you can make a call to a ruby function, like for example

  rb_eval_string("p 12");

Guy Decoux