On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote=
:

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 09:51 , James Britt wrote:
>
>> I generally assume 960px or so is reasonable.
>
> Don't assume that. For example, my ipad has 1024-by-768 and I usually rea=
d nerd doco in portrait, not landscape. A fluid layout would be much prefer=
red for all devices.

+1.  Not just for all devices; also for the varied needs of all users
of any single device.

I often find line lengths too long for quick skimming, so adjust
window size accordingly.  Others choose to increase content size to
compensate for sub-optimal near vision.  Others like to use wide
screens to multi-view windows rather than maximize.  etc.

For a design heavily reliant on graphics, establishing a minimum width
is sometimes a necessary evil.  But this one is delightfully texty
enough that I think it's safe to skip that.

By the way, the fixed height on home's header is forcing overlap
w/content when screen width narrows to mobile-ish sizes.

--=20
=A0 Carina