On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM, James Britt <james.britt / gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruby-doc.org has been updated.
>
> New rdoc template.
>
> New site style.
>
> Disqus commenting for rdocs.
>
> No doubt there are bugs, issues, problems; please contact me directly if you
> find something amiss.
>
> There's more to do but I wanted to get out something that was bette than
> what has there while I get on to fixing other things.

[Replying on the list since everyone else is doing it -- apologies.]

It looks very nice. However, a few bad things stand out:

1. I always have to scroll horizontally. I'm probably more picky about
keeping my browser size fixed (and non-maximized) than most people; so
at my preferred browser size, the content doesn't fit horizontally.
Even when I maximize it, it doesn't quite fit, since I have a wide
taskbar at the left edge. When I hide my taskbar and maximize the
browser, I can see all of the content except for a few code examples
that run off the edge (for example, the code in
instance_variable_set(symbol, obj) вк obj under Object); there is still
a horizontal scrollbar.

(I'm seeing this with more and more sites these days, so it might be
that designers don't worry about fitting horizontal space anymore, and
I need to adjust. But I'd rather not :) )

2. I'm a little on the fence about this one, but ultimately I'd prefer
the text color to be black for non-focused text as well as focused.
The gray background around focused text is enough to make it stand
out; the gray text sort of looks like something my brain should ignore
(which might be good for some people, but I'd like to be able to
comfortably read the descriptions of all the methods without moving my
cursor).

3. When you type in a filter term under Classes, the area containing
the classes shrinks, causing the method area to come over to the left.
It would be nicer if it stayed the same size. (As an aside: it might
be nice if the list of methods automatically got narrowed down to just
methods available in the classes found by the filter.)

4. Another one I'm on the fence about: put certain very common classes
up at the top (and then show them again in alphabetical order). I'm
not sure how to decide which classes get listed at the top, but
certainly Object should. (Ultimately, maybe there could be an optional
tree view of class relationships.)

5. It would be nice to have filtering of methods, etc. on the class pages.

6. Maybe link to RXR instead of raw source.

I'm excited to see how the discussions work out.

Someone else mentioned that you get frames if you click stdlib along
the top; is that just linking to an old version of the site?