> % help wait
> wait: wait [n]
>     Wait for the specified process and report its termination status.
> If
>     N is not given, all currently active child processes are waited for,
>     and the return code is zero.  N may be a process ID or a job
>     specification; if a job spec is given, all processes in the job's
>     pipeline are waited for.

Perhaps you can help me understand its use then.  Not to be
argumentative, I'd be happy to be proven wrong here :)

Background:

If I have a background process in a terminal, of PID 1714, then in that
same terminal, I run
$ wait 1714
it waits for PID 1714 to exit.

However if I go to a different terminal, and run the same, I get the
following:
$ wait 1714
bash: wait: pid 1714 is not a child of this shell

Am I misunderstanding?

-roger-