_____________
Rich in Toronto

On 2011-10-06, at 9:15 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> Well, bottom posting does not mean that one has to include the full
> message that is replied to.  Usually the recommendation is to remove
> the stuff which is irrelevant or which is not replied to.

Yes, many ways of doing it.  I've just been on lists where every third =
comment is "do not top post".  Interspersed responses, like this, I've =
used in the past as well.  Even edited posts can get lengthy, given that =
people post code snippets, etc.  I was just seeing how this list =
generally behaves. =20

> But if you top post then basically you can omit the whole original
> message since the reader has to figure anyway what the reply referred
> to.  Unfortunately this is not what typically happens: people will
> just top post a few sentences and leave the rest untouched.  Then it's
> better to completely rid of the original message because it's only
> marginally more effort for the reader to go back to a previous
> posting.  But with proper comments in line and the message pruned
> reading is so much simpler.  It also shows that the replier bothers to
> make an effort to make it easier for his readers.  This is a message
> of kindness.

Yes, there is logic behind it, it's just that other communities hugely =
frown upon such logic, and continue to be =85 that way.  Just asking the =
questions before the flames come out.

Thanks for the response.  It seems this list is reasonably flexible. =20

Cheers=