On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce / gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 10/03/2011 07:40 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>> Darryl Pierce wrote in post #1024793:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OptionParser::InvalidOption)
>>>     invalid option: --without-qpid-dir=~/Programming/Qpid/builddir/src/
>>>
>>> What's the problem and what does it expect?
>>
>> gem install <gemname> -- --with-opt-for-gem=...
>>                       ^^
>>
>> Note the double slashes to separate options for RubyGems than the
>> options you provide to the gem installation.
>>
>> All this is detailed in the RubyGems inline help:
>>
>> gem help install
>
> Still no joy.
>
> mcpierce@mcpierce-laptop:pkg (qpid-nonblocking-io-separate-threads) $
> gem install qpid-0.13.0.gem --
> --with-qpid-lib=~/Programming/Qpid/builddir/src/
> --with-qpid-include=~/Programming/Qpid/qpid/cpp/include/

From the directories you're feeding into gem install, seems to me that
you didn't compile and install the Qpid library.

Please read the library documentation about configure, compile and
installation, but you should have a "libqpidclient.a" inside "lib"
directory of the directory you're pointing.

From here it seems you're pointing to the source code instead.

> The directory pointed to by --with-qpid-lib (I also tried
> --with-qpid-dir) exists and contains libqpidclient.so, which is not
> being found in the above.

The so (shared object) is the compiled library and is for execution,
you the linking library instead (.a)

Also, is polite reply to the list so all benefit from the answers.
--
Luis Lavena