I'm working on a project and am bundling up my APIs into a gem for
distribution. The gem includes native code that needs to be compiled, so
I've included an extconf.rb file, etc. to do this.

On a test machine the gem installs fine, the code is compiled, etc. and
things go well.

But on a development machine (one of my coworkers) the gem won't
install. The problem is that some of our native libraries and heads on
which the gem depends aren't in the standard locations; i.e., not in
/usr/lib and /usr/include. Instead they're in the developer's git repo.

When we install the gem command says:

---8<snip>---
Provided configuration options:
	--with-opt-dir
	--without-opt-dir
	--with-opt-include
	--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
	--with-opt-lib
	--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
	--with-make-prog
	--without-make-prog
	--srcdir=.
	--curdir
	--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby
	--with-qpid-dir
	--without-qpid-dir
	--with-qpid-include
	--without-qpid-include=${qpid-dir}/include
	--with-qpid-lib
	--without-qpid-lib=${qpid-dir}/lib
	--with-stdc++lib
	--without-stdc++lib
	--with-qpidclientlib
	--without-qpidclientlib
---8<snip>---

But when I include "--without-qpid-dir=~/Programming/Qpid/builddir/src"
(the location of all of the libraries in my development environment) gem
gives me:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OptionParser::InvalidOption)
    invalid option: --without-qpid-dir=~/Programming/Qpid/builddir/src/

What's the problem and what does it expect?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce / gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/