On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Chris White <cwprogram / live.com> wrote:

> > > I recommend taking a look at how TDD works. Here is a basic screencast
> > > get you started:
> > >

> http://kanemar.com/2006/03/04/screencast-of-test-driven-development-with-ruby-part-1-a-simple-example/
>

> > Are you teaching a man to fish if you tell him "you should stop asking
> for
> > fish and start catching fish"?
> >
> > how about showing him what that looks like?
>
> Perhaps "teach a man to fish" was a bad analogy. Oh well, thus is the
> mystery of meaning in words. The link to the screencast was meant to provide
> a starting point to the process of TDD. Yes, I could have pasted an example
> of TDD using the given code, but I feel that knowledge is easier to retain
> knowledge when a majority of the work is done by the person doing the
> learning. If this person produces some test code and is in need of help in
> getting further along, I will be more than happy to provide assistance.
> However I digress, as I fear I am starting to derail the original topic at
> hand.
>
> Regards,
> Chris White
> http://www.twitter.com/cwgem

I'll be honest, I have a certain amount of disdain for the TDD community,
because I spent about 2 years trying over and over again to effectively
employ the practice with almost no results (actually, frequently
experiencing negative results). Seeing a post to Ruby 1.8.2 (which came out
in 2004 -- reference: http://ruby-versions.net/vault.html) on Notepad, with
tab indentation on a class named Foobar, I find raises my ire.

I'm pretty sure I have it figured out now -- or at least I have figured out
what works for me. I'll try to record something more useful than the usual
lip service I seem to see everywhere. Maybe this weekend. If so, I'll post
it here for comments & criticisms.