David C. wrote in post #1023941:
> I'm not sure where that syntax for OptionParser came, and Trollop is a
> fine lib, but if you want to stick with just Ruby standard library
> stuff:
>
> require 'optparse'
>
> options = {}
> opts = OptionParser.new do |opts|
>
>   opts.on('-s SOURCE_PATH','Source path') do |path|
>     options[:source_path] = path
>   end
>   opts.on('-d DEST_PATH','Destination path') do |path|
>     option[:dest_path] = path
>   end
>   opts.on('-v','Be verbose') do
>     options[:verbose] = true
>   end
> end
> opts.parse!
>
> puts "Source Path is: #{options[:source_path]"
> puts "Dest Path is: #{options[:dest_path]"
> puts "We are being verbose" if options[:verbose]
>
> It's a bit more code, but you also get built-in help:
>
> $ my_app --help
> Usage: my_app [options]
>
>     -s SOURCE_PATH   Source path
>     -d DEST_PATH       Dest path
>     -v                          Be verbose
>
> You can use long-form options as well (e.g. --verbose)

Now that's a better example of OptionParser and that could come in handy
some time.  I may even switch over to it since now I want to present
syntax help.  The version I posted works EXACTLY as I would like, so
that's good.  Someone else posted a solution, and I appreciate it, but
no time to look at it.

To the person who explained why I need to use .send(), thanks.  That's
very interesting and I'll have to keep that in mind.  That could come in
handy some day in some situations.  I know that would drive a pure OO
person crazy, but I can see some uses for that.

Thanks all.  I think this has been completely cracked and solved.
Exactly as I would like plus a clear(er) OptionParser example.

Cheers!
-pj
(soon, hopefully to be "rj"... RubyJunkie)