Hello,

At Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:45:50 +0900,
in [ruby-talk:03857] Re: JRuby?,
Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / netlab.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:03827] JRuby?"
>     on 00/07/05, Aleksi Niemel<aleksi.niemela / cinnober.com> writes:
>
> |    - there's no support for Java integration (no JRuby)
>
> Nor JPerl.  (There is jperl program, which is Japanese capable Perl).
>
> I heard someone started development of Ruby clone in Java years ago.
> But I don't think he made it.

The someone is probably me. I tried to implement Ruby clone in
Java about 3 years ago (ruby 1.1 era), but the plan miscarried.

The wreck is here:
  Http://www.ueda.info.waseda.ac.jp/~igarashi/ruby/jruby-proto.tar.gz

The causes are:

  * The specification of Ruby was unstable at the time.
  * The Java Reflection API was not sufficient at the time.
  * I was an undergraduate and had just learned about language system.
    JRuby was too complicated as an exercise of lecture.

The Ruby spec. have changed till now and Java have also evolved
(especially in reflectional feature).  Thus, if we will retry
it, I think we need redesign from zero.

--
Hiroshi IGARASHI