On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Alex Young <alex / blackkettle.org> wrote:

> Ryan Davis wrote in post #1023415:
> > On Sep 23, 2011, at 00:07 , Alex Young wrote:
> >
> >>  $ ri StringIO
> >>  Nothing known about StringIO
> >>
> >> is what I get. I never assume ri works.
> >
> > soooo... instead of fixing it and empowering yourself... you choose...
> > what exactly?
>
> rubydoc.info, usually.  Saves fixing it on every single box I ever
> touch.

+1, ri has worked for me once before, but rarely does, and I don't enjoy the
format anyway. I used to build docs and host them with `gem server` but now
I turn off ri and rdoc and just use rdoc.info since it has not only core
docs, but also gems.

Occasionally I use ruby-doc.org, and for Rails I use guides.rubyonrails.organd
api.rubyonrails.org