Thanks for your comments, Chuck & Josh!

The purpose of the assignment is to examine the timing results and
explain why they differ between programming languages, whether they
follow the theoretical timing complexity (mostly they do, other than the
size 128 array, which in both Java and Ruby seems to often be either too
high or too low), and if not why it might be offset from the theoretical
complexity.

My goal isn't to make the Ruby code fast, but simply to compare 3
different languages. I was just a little concerned that I'd done
something wrong in my Ruby implementation when it was almost two orders
of magnitude slower than Java. From what you guys said, however, it
sounds like I'm just comparing marathon times for 2 marathon runners and
a sprinter.

I really appreciate the suggestions regarding improvements in the code,
but the program has to be as close to identical as possible across the
three languages, barring only syntactical differences. I'll definitely
look your suggestions over to improve my understanding of Ruby, however.

Josh, thanks in particular for pointing out why Ruby would be so much
slower than Java and C#.