On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix / gmail.com> wrote:

> after doing some googling on the `dyld: Symbol not found` issue i am
> now trying a complete un and reinstall of opencv.
> Perlmonks and the MySql dev teams have ran into issues before on snow
> leopard where if you
> try to mix 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit interpreter/ other libraries,
> this issue can occur.
>
> I'll update this thread if a 64 bit install of opencv doesn't fix the issue.

This fixes this issue. This probably also fixes the issue for those on OSX Lion.
I don't blog often (ever), but I'll be sure to do an [ann] my blog
post on how to fix this.

OpenCV ruby binding is a righteous pain in the rear end with terrible
installation documentation.

the cliff notes are this:
brew install opencv # there may exist issues here. I'll detail how to
solve them if this fails
git clone https://github.com/ser1zw/ruby-opencv.git
(cd into that directory)
git checkout origin/remotes/OpenCV_2.2
git branch OpenCV_2.2 #this is a clumsy way of dealing with git. I'll
write this up better later.
bundle
rake gem
gem install ext/opencv-0.0.6.gem

irb
require 'opencv'
=>true

There are potential failure points at each step, that's what the blog
write up will be about.
However, in a non existent dream world this gets you up and running
with opencv and the ruby bindings on a mac os.

NOTICE: if you have gone 64 bit, go all the way. Don't try to run 64
bit ruby and 32 bit libraries. It will yield the issue I previously
posted about.

I hope this saves someone else the nightmare I dealt with.

Respectfully,
Andrew McElroy