--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:25:03AM +0900, Marc Heiler wrote:

> > Some instructions for installing from DEB and RPM packages, or
> > batch/shell scripts that automate it somewhat, would be nice too.
> > While it should generally be assumed that users of Linux distributions
> > that use DEB and RPM packages by default know how to use the
> > provided tools to install from the standard archives, installing
> > software from outside those archives is a different story, and
> > is sometimes quite nonobvious to end users.

I said that.

> Do you really want to invest your time to teach people how to
> use distribution specific solutions? Debian has been known to
> aggressively cripple packages like ruby into oblivion.
>
> There is only one true way to use ruby, which is to man up and
> compile it from source.
>
> Everyone else should be left alone to the distribution and stick
> to the mess these Distributions made for them. Distributions claim
> to make the life easier, so they should either stick to the
> distribution or compile from source.

translation: "Ruby has too many users.  We don't need people who want to
make things relatively easy."

> > Let the users worry about how their systems are managed. That's
> > why package management/installers exist, after all!

I didn't say that.

> No. Package management the way it is done is a huge problem.
>
> Distributions purposely become incompatible with one another.
>
> Once a user leaves that path, he is on his own.
>
> Distributions are evil.
>
> To recommend them to stick to their distribution is playing the
> devil's advocate.

How do you do things?  Do you start by compiling a Linux kernel from
sources at Kernel.org?  Do you use FreeBSD?  I'm curious.

> > For users who have changed the default behavior of the system, I
> > agree, but for those who are using the system as it is delivered
> > to end users I sympathize with the desire to make things as
> > seamless as possible.  This can be important if for no other
> > purpose than reaching as many users as one reasonably can.

I said that.

> Again, if idiots that create a Distribution make the life of users
> AND developers harder, it is time to tell the users to start
> using their brains rather than subjugate to the tyranny of stupid
> decisions made within a distribution.
>
> They purposely cripple packages for everyone, for no real valid
> reason whatsoever.
>
> They purposely remain incompatible with one another (don't get me
> started on the joke of LSB).
>
> Let Distributions rot.
>
> And by the way, Michal Suchanek asked a simple question. It would
> be polite to not ask "why he is doing it", but to either answer
> the question, or not - and not try dilute the problem to another
> domain like Mr. Gawlowski tried.

I'm not entirely sure what all that has to do with what I said.

By the way, it might be nice if there were some quote attribution in your
replies so that readers would know who said what.  It's the polite thing
to do.

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--