--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 05:43:01PM +0900, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

> - .deb packages for Debian and derivatives
> - .rpm packages for Fedora, OpenSUSE, and derivatives (RHEL,
> SLED/SLES, and CentOS/SL as RHEL derivatives)

I'll refer back to this stuff in a moment.

> - Include the source for Ruby (GPL mandates access to the sources
> anyway, if binaries are distribute, so might as well fill up the CD)

This is evidently not the case with 1.9.3 (and future versions,
presumably).  It appears that the dual-licensing status of Ruby is
changing [1] from (Ruby License or GPL) to (Ruby License or Simplified
BSD License), thankfully.

I still believe that including the source is a good idea, as is a README
that explains everything on the storage media.

> - Instructions to build from source, if no binary package is distributed

Some instructions for installing from DEB and RPM packages, or
batch/shell scripts that automate it somewhat, would be nice too.  While
it should generally be assumed that users of Linux distributions that use
DEB and RPM packages by default know how to use the provided tools to
install from the standard archives, installing software from outside
those archives is a different story, and is sometimes quite nonobvious to
end users.

>=20
> Let the users worry about how their systems are managed. That's why
> package management/installers exist, after all!

For users who have changed the default behavior of the system, I agree,
but for those who are using the system as it is delivered to end users I
sympathize with the desire to make things as seamless as possible.  This
can be important if for no other purpose than reaching as many users as
one reasonably can.

## Notes:

1. https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/COPYING

--=20