On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM, James French
<James.French / naturalmotion.com> wrote:

> Lately I've been having a hell of a time (a bad time) trying to fix an E2=
BIG error coming from spawn. I finally tracked it down to a bug in win32.c =
=A0(http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5325). Great. Then I tried to build=
 ruby from source using VS2008, which I did. Great. Then I discovered that =
my unit test that fires off thousands of little processes takes about 500ms=
 to run each process where it used to take a few milliseconds. The even wei=
rder thing is that every now and again when I run it it goes at normal spee=
d, but only occasionally. WTF? I've spent all day on this and I'm starting =
to tear my hair out. Any ideas what could account for this?

Just a few wild guesses: compiler switches (optimization), linking
(static vs. shared), compiler brand (aren't binary distros compiled
with MinGW?), virus scanner, disk activity...

Kind regards

robert

--=20
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/