Instead of golf or figure skating as the metaphor (non XP kind), how
about "Ruby Dressage"?

dres?sage   Pronunciation Key  (dr-s?zh, dr-)
n. The guiding of a horse through a series of complex maneuvers by
slight movements of the rider's hands, legs, and weight

Elegance, power, control, speed and taming a potentially wild beast -
(complexity).

Unfortunately as with figure skating, points are scored in an "artistic"
component as well as a technical component.

Another suitable phrase would be the oft-used (because of very good unit
test harness) "lapidary".  Dictionary.com reports the following
adjectival uses of lapidary.

Marked by conciseness, precision, or refinement of expression: eg.
"lapidary prose". Advantages of this would be keeping the Ruby flavour
:)

Just my etymylogical, metaphorical nonsense $0.02 for today.

Lachlan Pitts
Technical Consultant
SoftWorks Australia Pty Ltd

email: 	mailto:Lachlan_Pitts / softworks.com.au
voice: 	+61 7 3511 7000