Hi,

* Stefan Schmiedl <s / xss.de> [02-04-21 22:52]:
>Thorsten Haude <ruby / thorstenhau.de> wrote:
>> File.open("/home/yooden/.mail/keywords") { |file|
>>   file.each_line { |line|
>>     print line if line =~ /Ruby/
>>   end
>> }
>> - - - Schnapp - - -
>> I get a parse error at line ten. This is an example from your book, so
>> I'm afraid something is wrong with my setup.
>This proves that 20 eyes see more than the 18 (presumably) which
>were employed for proofreading. You are doing fine, we have a typo.
      ^^^^^^^^
Do you need my KtoNr. and BLZ?

>> Is there a standard way to verify a sane environment?
>if in doubt, use the windows way: reinstall :-)
Ah, so you want to scare me off? I'm not frightened that easily.

>>>About "each" look at
>>>http://www.approximity.com/rubybuch2/node24_main.html
>>>and especially read "Iteratoren".
>> The problem I had was more in the two |'s. What exactly is the meaning
>> of these? Do they just mean "Here's the name of whatever I iterate
>> upon"? Is there any side effect, anything more to know?
>> The reason I wonder is simply that this looks unusual to me.
>each_line yields one value to the code block, and you choose to
>denote it by "line" inside your block. There is another iterator
>"each_with_index" for sequences, where the block receives two values,
>which you could denote "| value, index |" or "| index, value |", I
>keep forgetting which one is correct.
I think I understand it now. It was more an unfamiliar syntax than
anything else.

>You might also want to check out the German Ruby list:
I'm subscribed, but this list seemed to be far more active, so I tried
here first.
Is there a special list for novices, English or German?

Thanks for your help!

Thorsten
--
I was amazed today to find out how much Windows
can actually be used for useful things.