2011/9/11 Bartosz Dziewoski <matma.rex / gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/11 Joe Collins <joec_49 / hotmail.com>:
>> I tried n.round(2) and gave an error - didnt want the 2 argument. I am
>> using an older version of ruby?
>>

> In 1.8.x, round() simply rounded to nearest integer.
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.8.7/classes/Float.html#M000650
>
> You should update to Ruby 1.9.2.

Also, rounding is rarely what one wants because it looses precision
and still gives no guarantee for proper output formatting.  Usually
output formatting with printf, sprintf or % operator is better.

Btw, Joe if you are using floating point numbers for currency values
you might run into trouble soon because of the pecularities of IEEE
floating point math.  In those cases it might be better to use
BigDecimal.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/