> I just gave a very simple example.
> I want to use larger arrays millions of times.
> The speed I have now is acceptable.
> I was just trying to squeeze a little more out to see if I could.

Garbage collection could be part of it=2C as the GC has to stop for the col=
lection phase=2C which can interrupt current processing. You can try doing =
some calculations using the GC module:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/GC.html

You can also disable / re-enable it when doing expensive operations. You ca=
n also try another implementation such as Rubinius:

http://rubini.us/

or JRuby:

http://jruby.org/

I've seen some pretty impressive numbers for mass object creation for rubin=
ius=2C and the JVM allows you quite a number of optimization options and ga=
rbage collection methods. As I mentioned though=2C you can fall back to cre=
ating C extensions to have more precise control over things.

Regards=2C
Chris White
http://www.twitter.com/cwgem
 		 	   		  =