> I didn't mention it=2C but I was trying not to iterate. But=2C I guess I
> need to if I want to get more speed.

The question here is going to come down to why you're so worried about spee=
d. What's your specific use case? The one you gave us seems to simplified t=
o vouch for going the optimization route. Are you repeating this process th=
ousands of times? With larger data sets? Computer processing power has evol=
ved a lot over the years to the point to where the bar is set higher for wh=
en granular optimizations are required. If=2C however=2C such speed is crit=
ical to the application=2C you also have the route of writing a C level ext=
ension (assuming MRI here).

Regards=2C
Chris White
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cwgem