On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM, mark e. <mark_f_edwards / yahoo.com> wrote:

> thanks josh.
>
> i hope to abandon both perl and php in favor of ruby, but this is quite
> a stumbling block.
>
> i am currently hosting with a VPS.  i am starting to wonder if maybe my
> gcc or my glibc is really out-of-date.
>
> it does not help when the git download page seems to be permanently on
> vacation:
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/

Yeah, that's weird, such an important resource should be made available.
There's a git irc channel on freenode where people might be able to offer
you more informed help than I can.

I've not looked into it, but there's another tool for managing your Ruby
versions which might not depend on git, called rbenv (
https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv)  glancing at the readme, it looks like
you can build yourself, or use ruby-build to install Rubies (
https://github.com/sstephenson/ruby-build).

The instructions there have you using "git clone", but you can get around
that by downloading the tarball of it from the github page and then pick up
after that step. It might still use git after that point, I've done less
than 1 minute worth of research, so I don't know. But it might be worth
looking into.