> While we're at it=2C I'll mention something annoying me to no end for
> some time now: ruby-doc.org's stdlib documentation is missing for some
> libs. Go to http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/ and start clicking links on
> the left - soon enough you'll find some what return a 404. For
> example=2C Win32API=2C soap=2C readbytes=2C and I haven't even checked a =
third
> of the list.
>
> If the docs for these are actually missing=2C then you should show some
> user-friendly messages or at least a list of methods=2C like
> rubydoc.info does.

Towards the end of last month I uploaded some updated documentation to a fr=
ee Heroku instance:

http://furious-waterfall-55.heroku.com/

Note: this is a free Heroku instance so it will be pretty flakey. However a=
ll the files served are static so it won't be too bad hopefully.

When contacting the ruby-doc.org maintainer about having it hosted for the =
time being=2C he stated that there were going to be updates at some point. =
He also stated that there are issues with the way that RDoc does some of th=
e processing of class hierarchy=2C so a custom tool is used. I've requested=
 more information but haven't heard anything back yet. At any rate=2C the U=
RL above uses an updated rdoc with the darkfish template. On a side note I'=
m trying to put together a Ruby Language Guide. In essence I'd like to make=
 it something more organized. The problem with the current state of documen=
tation from a reference perspective is that it lacks an organized structure=
. Take for example the Array class. Arrays have methods for obtaining value=
s=2C modifying values=2C and iterating over values. This sort of categoriza=
tion is simply too difficult to automate given the current state of things=
=2C and would require linking to some kind of external metadata.=20

Also the inline documentation samples are very concise (part of which is to=
 not create walls of comments in the code) and are often written in a "here=
's the input and here's the output" style. There are some cases to where sh=
owing usage more tailed towards real world use requires much more detailed =
code.

Regards=2C
Chris White
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cwgem