On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Matthew -- <astrochase / gmail.com> wrote:
> The one that just tripped me up was File.open. It isn't properly
> documented that File.open overrides IO.open. I believe it was also
> mentioned here: http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/1731075#999707
>
> It confuses me how this can be wrong, especially as I'm under the
> impression it's generated straight from the source code.
>
> I don't have enough experience to judge how accurate ruby-doc.org is.
> Perhaps someone with more experience than I can comment, but if it is
> plagued with problems as I've been hearing, perhaps a warning should be
> placed next to the link on the main Ruby website, at least until the
> problems are resolved.

Yeah, Ruby's primary documentation tool just doesn't show overrides as
you suggest.  That probably would be handy, but it could also be
pretty tough to accomplish with how dynamic Ruby can be.

Anyway, if we're going to consider changes like that, they probably
need to happen inside RDoc.  I don't think this is really and issue
with our sites so much as our tools.

James Edward Gray II