Joe Collins wrote in post #1021260:
> I want to make an array of strings, i.e boy, girl, cat dog
> how do I do that in Ruby?

#You can do it several ways:

# A- Create an array which elements are strings
str_arr = ["boy", "girl", "cat", "dog"]  # => ["boy", "girl", "cat",
"dog"]

# B- The same using %w - it splits a string into words, and returns an
array. Notice also that () is used to delimit the string, instead of ""
str_arr = %w(boy girl cat dog)   # => ["boy", "girl", "cat", "dog"]

> Also, I want to read words from a file and make them an array of
> strings. I can read files fine but making an array of strings is where I
> am
> stumped.

#To decompose a string into words, and store them in an array, you can
use String#split [1] - it fits like a glove

Also, if you want to refresh these details, have a reading over "The
Pragmatic Programmer's Guide" which is available online, and very well
explained [2]

Cheers

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html#M001165
[2] http://www.rubycentral.com/pickaxe/