http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/1393096
>=20
> Gary Wright's explanation in the thread linked above is very complete =
and clear.
> Strongly recommended if you are at all foggy on this topic.

Thanks for the compliment.  I thought I would also point out that while =
my discussion
in that thread talks about *string* indexing it is equally applicable to =
*array*
indexing.  Good thing too because I would hate for the behavior to be =
different.

> I will add one terminology/memory tidbit -
>=20
> The difference in the one-arg/two-arg indexing is ruby's way of =
dealing with
> the classic fence post problem. (i.e. A fence with 3 sections has 4 =
posts.)

I really like this analogy.

Gary Wright=