On 8 Sep 2011, at 12:23, Marc Heiler wrote:

> Why not pass the --prefix to configure when compiling?
>=20
>  ./configure --prefix=3D~/buildtools/ruby/1.9.2
>=20
> --=20
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>=20

Thanks, I wasn't sure how to do that. It required an absolute path but /Use=
rs/~/buildtools/ruby/1.9.2 did the trick and it can now load standard libra=
ry files. Still having issues with gems but I am unblocked for the moment s=
o thanks!

I must say I'm surprised ruby doesn't set up its default paths relative to =
the ruby executable to prevent hard coding of location - means that we have=
 to maintain a company standard folder (there are other folders before buil=
d tools that I didn't mention). Not a huge deal though.

Thanks again!

James=