Eric Wong wrote in post #1020497:
> I would like to do a series of mailing list posts on the subject of Unix
> systems programming in Ruby.  I only intend to cover standardized,
> POSIX-compliant features of the standard Ruby distribution.  No
> extensions or Linux-only parts.
>
> Is there anybody who would NOT want these posts in ruby-talk?

Yes, me. A mailing list is for discussion (ruby *talk*), and apart from
occasional announcements, I don't think it is for broadcast content. In
my opinion, if everyone decided to mirror their personal blog onto
ruby-talk then it would make ruby-talk useless; and although what you're
doing sounds great, I don't think it is any more exceptional than many
other series of blog postings on ruby-related matters.

So I would rather see it in something like a github wiki. Then it's easy
to link to, and it can also be easily updated and maintained going
forwards. Of course, feel free to post an announcement here with the
URL.

> Most people would start a blog/wiki, but I dislike dealing with _any_
> browsers/formatting/layout/presentation, so absolutely no
> markup/markdown/troff/textile if I'm to do this.

github wiki's "markdown" is about as close to plain text as you can get.
Basically all you need to do is write paragraphs, and wrap code examples
like this:

~~~
# First ruby program
puts "Hello world"
~~~

Hey presto, your document suddenly renders in HTML nicely, and can be
exported to PDF etc (google for "pandoc" for my favoured tool). It's so
worth taking 5 minutes to do this. (And I agree with you that life's too
short to do textile, troff, latex etc; focus on the content)

Regards,

Brian.