You guys are aware that newbies will always have this question?

It is a HUGE problem for any language to support two different
implementations (or worse, even more).

I myself am stuck on 1.8.x and will move to python rather than use
1.9.x's brainless Encoding situation.

But I agree on one point indeed - 1.8.x will eventually die (*waves a
sad goodbye*) and I think the official homepage should ACTIVELY
recommend to use 1.9.x ALONE. As should all of the community. A hard
break is better than a slow one... it slows down changes to the
language.

It is much less confusing for newcomers to ruby and perhaps they manage
to do something which I failed at - embrace 1.9.x with love. (I just
don't feel it anymore due to the Encoding crap I don't need, crap which
was not existing in 1.8.x, but it was my personal decision to not switch
to 1.9.x and instead do a hard switch to another language altogether, so
it is ok.)