I want to use ruby-serialport on ubuntu with ruby 1.8.7.

First I downloaded version 1.0.4 from github and compiled it myself,
second I installed the ubuntu package libserialport-ruby.

Both packages do not load serialport.rb via require 'serialport.so' and
so dont know about class SerialPort.

The consequence is, that SerialPort.new doesn't accept a string as its
first parameter and directly calls IO#create to open one of the standard
streams.

Literally including the class SerialPort int my source text causes
SerialPort to work properly.

What is the reason for this odd behaviour?