Thanks Jon, I followed the instructions on phosphor-escence.
Unfortunately I couldn't get the rmagick gem to install(see attachment).
If anyone has any ideas I'd be real interested to hear them.

But I did get ImageMagick to install and instead (of using rmagick) I
just issue ImageMagick commands directly from my ruby code. Not as nice
but it works.

For completeness of this post here are my exact steps:

[0]
I installed ruby192 as well as the DevKit using
http://rubyinstaller.org/ on windows 7.

[1]
Installed ImageMagick-6.7.1-10-Q16-windows-dll.exe
* downloaded from
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows
* I installed to "C:\ImageMagick-6.7.1-Q16" (no spaces!!)
* ticked "Add application directory to your system path"
* ticked "Install development headers & libraries for C and C++"

[2]
I confirmed ImageMagick works via command prompt with:
* % C:\ImageMagick-6.7.1-Q16\convert.exe convert.tif -resize 10% new.png

[?]
I attempted to instal the 'rmagick' gem with the below command. I got an
error. (see attachment) and gave up.
* % gem install rmagick --platform=ruby --
--with-opt-lib=C:/ImageMagick-6.7.1-Q16/lib
--with-opt-include=C:/ImageMagick-6.7.1-Q16/include

[4]
Instead of using RMagick, I just call the ImageMagick CMD command
directly from my ruby script:-
  if (system('C:\ImageMagick-6.7.1-Q16\convert.exe convert.tif
new.png'))
    puts "yahoo! converting tif to png worked"
  else
    puts "oof it failed"
  end

[lastly]
If I could have gotten the rmagick gem to install, this is how I would
do the same command in [4] but in nicer ruby code:
  require 'RMagick'
  jpg = Magick::ImageList.new("doc.jpg")
  thumb = jpg.scale(300, 300)
  thumb.write "doc.png"