> For me the current situation with encoding in ruby 1.9 looks like
> a bad joke.

> I believe, if there will be no fix for it, next time the advice
> may sound like "don't use Ruby, use Scala, Node.js or
> something other"

I did not make the original comment, however the Encoding situation in 1.9 is still the reason why I have not moved to 1.9.

I love ruby but I don't know if I will use 1.9. I am too lazy to deal with all the Encoding stuff, especially as I myself simply do not need the Encoding at all.

I use Ruby as a replacement over PHP and Perl.

Perhaps one day I find an easy way to walk over with all my  Umlauts in my .rb files but until that day comes, Ruby 1.9.x just complains about it, and I couldn't care less if it does. I don't know to which other language I will move, Ruby spoiled me. :(

I am only glad ruby 1.8.x still works and I will probably end up using it as long as possible before I will either eventually switch to another language or somehow learn to deal with the Encoding crap.