Hello there, I need to scale down a .tiff file and turn it into a .png
file. I've thought of several options to doing this but as a newbie I'd
appreciate if somebody could please provide some direction as to which
option to pursue:

OPTION 1: use someone else's
******************************
I looked in core and stdlib. I found nothing. Then I searched for 'tiff'
at rubyforge.org but also nothing.

Am I going about trying to find an appropriate gem in the correct
manner? (I can't be the only person ever needing to this!)

OPTION 2: imagemagick
******************************
I've found http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php It does not have
a ruby interface. But I can use this tool from the command line. Lets
say I install imagemagick on windows which is also where I will run my
convert_tiff_to_png.rb script from. Lets say I've put imagemagick in my
system path too. Looking at the imagmagick docs:

$magick>convert -size 100x100 image.tiff image.png

So within a ruby script, how do I say "run this line as if from the
windows command prompt"?

OPTION 3: ms paint
If I open a .tiff file in paint, I simply do Edit > resize and File >
save as... and select .png

Its really easy in paint. I just have to do this a couple of thousand
times so I really need this in ruby. Is there an easy way to drive paint
from ruby?

I get the feeling imagemagick is my best/easiest option?

So this installs on windows