Meaning of highlighted sections in attachment:

IO.open(fd, mode_string="r" [, opt] ) вк io
IO.open(fd, mode_string="r" [, opt] ) {|io| block } вк obj

* the dark-grey header shows variants of this method's signature, that
is, how you can use it.
** first comes the class name and the method name
** then, in parentheses, description of arguments. "fd" argument is
mandatory, "mode_string" is optional with default value being "r" (why
"r" is explained below), "opt" is also optional with no default value.
** later, only in the second variant, comes the information how you
can call this function with a block.
** finally, after the arrow, what is the value returned by this
variant. First variant returns an IO object, second returns the value
of the block (this is, once again, explained in the text below).
-- Matma Rex