On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Agent Mulder <mbmulder / online.nl> wrote:
>> I suppose I'd have to ask why this is necessary. If you need a name
>> associated with a value I'd recommend using a hash instead. Technically
>> there might be a way be analyzing stack frames, but that would require
>> access to the internals through the C API.
>
> I need it because I generate a complex data structure from more simple
> primitives. Having the names around makes it easier to get the desired
> results.

What exactly are "the desired results"?  Can you elaborate a bit more
on what you do?  Also a http://sscce.org/ might help.

> Using hashes will work, but it adds noise to the algorithms,
> making them harder to construct. But if a hash is the simplest way of
> getting what I want, then a hash it will be...

Usually if you have dynamic in a way that you generate names of
variables from input then a Hash or similar data structure which
actually stores names and values is the best.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/