--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 04:43:03PM +0900, Chris White wrote:
>=20
> I thought about this a bit, as I do agree that certifications do not
> speak as well as code for assessing someone's coding talents. However,
> they do provide a way to help get Ruby more exposure in the business
> world. Some managers prefer to have an objective means of evaluating
> candidates to help provide some kind of filtering. That is why a
> certification could help create confidence in the hiring of Ruby
> developers. I think it would be awesome to see something like this get
> more Ruby folks hired. However, I also think Ruby needs to have a solid
> language specification before any sort of certification can be
> considered.

It's worse than that.  The moment certifications start becoming
recognized by employers, it becomes a shortcut for many of them in the
hiring process that overshadows things that actually matter.  Such
certifications tend to result in less-qualified people being hired more
often, commoditizing developers rather than giving them credit where it's
due, and otherwise screwing up the job market.

--=20

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--