On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Chris White <cwprogram / live.com> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2011, at 12:10 AM, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM, cathy alomari <cathy1428 / gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you !  Thank you!  For the link to ruby-kickstart.  What I wanted
> >> find out is there are "certifications" for RUBY?  And if so, where?
> >
> > Lord, I hope there aren't any certifications for Ruby. Write code,
> > open source it, and create a portfolio with that. Code speaks louder
> > than paper.
>
> I thought about this a bit, as I do agree that certifications do not speak
> as well as code for assessing someone's coding talents. However, they do
> provide a way to help get Ruby more exposure in the business world. Some
> managers prefer to have an objective means of evaluating candidates to help
> provide some kind of filtering. That is why a certification could help
> create confidence in the hiring of Ruby developers. I think it would be
> awesome to see something like this get more Ruby folks hired. However, I
> also think Ruby needs to have a solid language specification before any sort
> of certification can be considered.
>
> Regards,
> Chris White
> http://www.twitter.com/cwgem

There is one here (http://www.ruby-assn.org/en/certification.htm) but it's
for 1.8.7, so about to be outdated. I've never heard of any outside of that
one. I just went through a number of interviews, and no one ever asked about
certification, it was looking at my portfolio, then some emails, then skype
interview, then fly in for in person interview for a day or two. For the in
person interview, all of them involved sitting down writing code with people
in some capacity or other.

I think a portfolio is better than a certification in the Ruby world as it
currently exists.