> >     Why to stay away from Ruby?
> >
> >     - there's no support for Java integration (no JRuby)

> That's only a good reason if you really need something like
> that.

The point is that if you have to make a prototype and then recode it in
Java, Ruby is very suitable. However, if you have to make a prototype
interacting with your existing code (like swing components) without massive
amount of slowing-down-glue (some middleware maybe, corba who knows) you're
out of business with Ruby. If we compare common scripting languages (ruby,
perl, python) head to head, on this matter Python wins hands tied.

So in essence, you probably should pick up something else than Ruby for that
task. Which means, staying away. I don't think that any single argument pro
or against means that you definitely should use or stay away from Ruby.
These are just general advices.

> JPython is certainly cool, but there are problems with this sort of
> integration, because JVMs are generally only fairly
> well-debugged for byte
> code sequences typical of Java compilers,

Good to know!

> XML protocol support...may be
> a useful form of integration in the long run for Ruby to work with.

Might be. For persons having some interest, there's for example xmlBlaster

http://www.xmlblaster.org/

Who, by the way, use good slogan :)

"Every Dad (Distributed application developer) needs a Mom (Message oriented
middleware)."

> CORBA, but I don't know if anyone is doing much with this on
> the Ruby side.

There's one partial implementation already, if that's something:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Ruby-ORBit

	- Aleksi